Choking in an unresponsive grown-up
Choking can get severe in certain cases where a person can become unresponsive after a certain interval due to excessive lack of breathing. This can frighten every person at the scene of casualty. Most people are not aware that keeping their presence of mind intact even in such a disastrous situation can help revive the casualty on the spot.
Read on to get an idea of what needs to be done in such circumstances.
How to provide relief to an unresponsive person from choking?
- SHOUT FOR HELP
Call someone to activate the emergency response system immediately on your behalf while you take care of the victim.
- TRY CPR
If you see a person becoming unresponsive, lower his head gently to the ground, and begin CPR. Start with chest compressions but do not check for a pulse at that moment.
If you see any object inside the mouth while giving CPR, immediately remove it else continue the CPR till the situation gets better.
- ACTIVATE EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEM
If after about 2 minutes of CPR, there is no visible betterment, immediately activate the emergency response system if you haven’t done it already.
How to identify if you have successfully revived a choked person?
- If while giving CPR, you see the victim’s chest rising, it is an indication that the air passage is automatically clear of any obstruction and the person has been successfully revived.
- If you have removed the foreign body with your hands.
What to do after reviving an unresponsive person?
- Check for pulse and breathing
- Try to obtain some sort of a response through shaking
- Confirm that the emergency response system is activated
- Try CPR again
Keeping your calm is the best thing to follow when you have an encounter with such a situation. The above-mentioned steps are enough to aid you well but keep the emergency help ready to avoid any last-minute complications.